What's to Know About AAFCO? Talking to Clients About Nutritional Adequacy
A summary of AAFCO, pet food labels, and how to determine nutritional adequacy of a food will be discussed by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist. Strategies for determining what is a high quality pet food will be discussed. Strategies for understanding marketing and myths will also be discussed. Case examples will be included to illustrate tips and strategies for evidence-based communication with pet owners.
- By the end of this lecture, participants will be able to:
- 1. Describe the organizations involved in the laws and regulations governing cat and dog food.
- 2. Read an interpret a pet food label to determine if the diet is nutritionally appropriate for healthy animals of various life stages and purposes.
- 3. Provide accurate responses to the most common questions about pet food.
- 4. Identify evidence-based resources for pet food information and pet nutrition.